© 2017 - EIB Digital | All Rights Reserved.
The Volta Regional Minister, Dr. Archibald Letsa, has described as criminal the killing of two persons in the renewed clashes at Nkonya, pledging the perpetrators will be made to face the full rigour of the law.
Two people believed to be Nkonyas had been shot dead and two others injured in the clashes in the area hours after the curfew in the area was reviewed.
Confirming the incident, the Kpando Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Prosper Ahlorgya said the perpetrators are alleged to be from Alavanyo.
The return to mayhem in the area, Dr Letsa stated Thursday on Morning Starr will not be countenanced and that a military task force is on the ground as well as some police officers to maintain law and order.
“…It was quite a shock to us yesterday [Wednesday April 19, 2017] when we had the ndews around 5pm that two people were shot at Nkonya…around 4:30pm,” he told Morning Starr host Francis Abban, adding “that is quite unfortunate.”
Nonetheless, he noted that the situation is under control and that a task force made up of the military and police are on the ground to maintain law and order.
He thus appealed to the people to remain calm and avoid reprisal attacks saying they should exercise patience while the security agencies maintain law and order.
He said speculations are that the Wednesday clashes are a spillover from the age-old feud existing between the Nkonyas and the Alavanyos as a result, extreme caution is needed in dealing with to avoid reprisals.
“No matter what the motive is we need to investigate it…and that we are appealing to the people to remain calm because what happens in these situations are that there are usually reprisal attacks,” he said.