© 2017 - EIB Digital | All Rights Reserved.
The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has dismissed claims that Saturday’s gas explosion at the Atomic junction on the Madina road in Accra was triggered by a Khebab seller.
The Public Relations Officer of the GNFS, Billy Anaglatey in an interview on Starr Midday News said preliminary investigations have revealed that the khebab seller was yet to even set up when the fatal explosion occurred.
“I am told that at the time the incident happened he (khebab seller) had not gotten time to set up his fire…but in reality we are going to interrogate him.”
A popular media personality In Accra emphatically claimed on Facebook that the explosion was triggered by the khebab seller who operates nearby.
But Mr. Anaglatey has described the claims as unfortunate and cautioned the media to desist from spreading rumours and allow the technical experts conduct a thorough investigation.
“It is unfortunate and people should leave the investigation for we the technical experts,” Mr. Anaglatey said adding that several factors could have led to the explosion.
“Whoever came out with that information, that person should know that there are technical persons on the ground, so that is not our words…we cannot confirm that,” Mr. Anaglatey added.
Seven people died in Saturday’s gas explosion at the Atomic junction on the Madina road in Accra. 137 people also sustained various degrees of injuries as they tried to escape the explosion.
60 people have so far been treated and discharged from various hospitals where they were being treated.