CHRAJ report on A-Plus allegation “lame duck” – Petitioners
The Dynamic Youth Movement of Ghana, the group which petitioned the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), to probe corruption allegations against two deputy chiefs of staff, has described the final report as “lame duck”.
DYMOG had petitioned the anti-graft body to investigate corruption allegations made by Kwame Asare Obeng popularly known as A-Plus, against Francis Asenso-Boakye and Abu Jinapor at the Presidency and top police officer Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah.
CHRAJ in its report said the petition has no merit, however, DYMOG has expressed its disappointment in the findings, saying Addo-Danquah was “pampered” by the Commission.
“Upon reading the 24-page Report, DYMOG makes three general observations;
1. The Report was generally a ‘report’ of mere interviews with all parties involved
2. CHRAJ has trivialized the importance of the captured conversation on CD ROM which in our opinion is the ‘NUCLEUS’ of our petition.
3. The ‘PAMPERING’ of Madam Tiwaa Addo Danquah for that matter the Police throughout the investigations,” DYMOG said in a statement.
Below is the full statement:
CHRAJ INVESTIGATIONS- ‘LAME-DUCK’ APPROACH!
DYMOG thanks the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) for receiving our petition dated 29th September, 2017.
The Movement is also grateful to all parties concerned for co-operating with CHRAJ to enable the investigations to be conducted.
It is important to note that, per the Report, CHRAJ has made the following admissions.
- CHRAJ admits that the petition properly invokes its anti-corruption mandate. “(page 9)”
- CHRAJ admits that even though the Police have conducted their own investigations and concluded on it, the Commission also has the Powers to make its own determinations of facts of the matter. (page 15, paragraph 5)
- CHRAJ admits that, the Petitioners requested for a “scientific validation” of the CD Rom which captures the voice recording of Kwame Asare Obeng (A Plus) and DCOP Madam Tiwaa Addo Danquah is a matter for determination. “(page 12. 7(vi)”
- General Observations:
Upon reading the 24-page Report, DYMOG makes three general observations;
- The Report was generally a ‘report’ of mere interviews with all parties involved
- CHRAJ has trivialized the importance of the captured conversation on CD ROM which in our opinion is the ‘NUCLEUS’ of our petition.
- The ‘PAMPERING’ of Madam Tiwaa Addo Danquah for that matter the Police throughout the investigations.
- OUR DISAGREEMENTS
DYMOG does not share the reasoning of CHRAJ on the following issues.
- The object of CHRAJ does not include validating of Tapes. Article 218 (a) and (e) of the 1992 Constitution does not set any parameters in terms of modalities for conducting corruption related allegations. We believe that once the tape is heavily linked to this case, it lies within the mandate of CHRAJ to scientifically Test it.
- Capacity of CHRAJ to Scientifically Validate Tapes. CHRAJ is an investigative Body ordained by Law. It has the Powers to investigate all Public officials including the President. It is heart breaking that, CHRAJ asserts it does not have the technology to validate the voices in the tape which is the Primary evidence of the Petitioners.
- Failure of Police CID to release investigative reports. Article 219 (1a) clearly gives powers to CHRAJ to summon any individual to assist in investigations and also request any document relevant to any of its investigations. So why did CHRAJ handle the breach of its Powers with ‘soft gloves’? Why did CHRAJ hasten to conclude its investigations without having the full co-operation of the Police?
DYMOG maintains that, the scientific validation of the Tape as captured on the CD Rom is the only means by which this allegation of thievery and corruption can be solved. Failure to subject the tape to empirical validation cannot be solid grounds to exonerate any of the accused persons.
This action by CHRAJ exposes mammoth loop holes in our desire to fight corruption. Laws and enthusiasm alone cannot fight corruption; scientific methodology is key.
This Investigation is a ‘Lame-Duck’!